PRIOR TO INSTALLFlooring should be allowed to acclimate in the area it is to be installed at room temperature (18°C to 22°C / 65°F to 72°F) for a minimum of 48 hours. In periods of extreme heat or cold allow more time for acclimation. Product should never be installed when either hot or cold to the touch. Cartons must remain unopened and positioned so air can move between them. Be sure to store the cartons on a flat surface. HVAC systems must be in use for a minimum one week prior to starting the installation. Temperature must be maintained at between 13°C to 29°C (55°F to 84°F) in the area the flooring is installed.
The subfloor must be dust free and porous concrete (except plywood) MUST be primed with a suitable latex floor primer such as Armstrong S-185 to ensure proper adhesion.
Avoid exposure to excess direct sunlight through windows / patio doors that could cause the colour to fade or affect the bond tot he subfloor. The use of drapes or blinds during peak sunlight hours is highly recommended. In areas that are known to be unprotected from excess direct sunlight, the product must be adhered to the subfloor using Armstrong S-288 or S-289 Adhesive. If not fully adhered during the initial installation and expansions / contraction occurs due to excess direct sunlight, the product can be removed and reinstalled using S-288 or S-289.
Each plank / tile should be carefully inspected for any visual defects prior to installing. Any material installed with a visual defect is not the responsibility of the manufacturer.
SUBSTRATES- STIX Original / STIX ‘N’ STONES LVT can be installed on, above or below grade.
- Crawl spaces must be adequately ventilated and have construction industry recommended moisture barriers.
The subfloor must be flat with maximum 3 mm (1/8”) over 305 cm (10’) diameter, and be sturdy. Level the subfloor where necessary with suitable underlayment and prime with a suitable floor primer prior to installing.
Industry standard moisture and alkalinity tests should always be carried out on concrete before starting an installation.
RH (relative humidity) test must not exceed 90%. PH level must be between 7 – 9 (a dusty concrete floor may indicate the presence of alkali salts). Calcium Chloride test result must not exceed 5 lbs/1000 sf in 24 hours. Be aware that this test indicates the moisture in the surface of the concrete. It is considered usable when combined with an RH test. STIX Original / STIX ‘N’ STONES LVT can be installed over hydronic radiant heated floors. The system must be in operation a minimum of two weeks prior to installation of the material, and the temperature should be at a reasonable level for 48 hours prior to, and 72 hours after installation. The temperature can be gradually increased 72 hours after installation. The subfloor should never exceed 29°C (85°F).
STIX Original / STIX ‘N’ STONES LVT can be installed over most existing substrates including existing sheet vinyl flooring. The existing floor must be fully bonded and in good condition.
DO NOT INSTALL OVER- Cushioned flooring
- Single layer wood subfloors
- Particle Board
- Heavy embossing and grout lines must be leveled with a cementitious leveling compound and sealed with a suitable floor primer.
- All old adhesive and residue must be removed from the substrate prior to installing STIX Original / STIX ‘N’ STONES LVT.
SUITABLE SUBSTRATES1) APA Plywood – must be suitable for resilient flooring (with a fully sanded face)
a) Porous concrete / lightweight concrete must be primed with a suitable latex floor primer, such as Armstrong S-185 Latex Primer.
b) Cracks/voids must be prepared with a cementitious based leveler recommended for flooring. Failure to do so may result in telegraphing the imperfection to the surface of the STIX Original / STIX ‘N’ STONES LVT.
c) Moisture tests must be completed including PH testing.
d) New concrete should be allowed to cure for 90 days.
3) Existing sheet vinyl (fully bonded)
4) Ceramic Tile
a) Heavy embossing and grout lines must be leveled
Any old adhesive must be removed and skim coated with a suitable leveler.
As a clean, dust-free surface is necessary to ensure a proper bond, care must be taken to keep the work area dust-free.
*Note: Responsibility for the warranty and performance of any subfloor lies with the subfloor manufacturer. You should always review the underlayment manufacturers installation and warranty prior to installing*
INSTALLATION OF STIX- Work from a minimum of three cartons when installing.
- Choose your starting wall, ideally installing planks / tile parallel to the light source or to the longest wall in the room.
- End joints must be a minimum of 6” (15cm) apart.
- Allow for a minimum 3/16” (.48cm) gap at all walls, cabinets, pipes, etc. This will allow for any movement. A flexible silicone caulking must be used in all areas whose surface moisture may be present such as bathtubs, patio doors, toilets, etc. Care must be taken to keep moisture from getting under the planks / tile.
- Measure, score with a sharp utility knife and snap.
- Continue to install the planks / tile, fitting them tightly together and pressing them in place.
- Large open areas should be rolled with a floor roller. Foot traffic on the entire floor is sufficient to complete the bond to the subfloor. Ensure all planks / tile receives adequate pressure.
- When using transition moldings, ensure moldings are not fastened directly into the flooring.
- Your new STIX Original / STIX ‘N’ STONES LVT installation in now complete!
Care should be taken when installing heavy furniture and appliances. Lift and place in their location. Do not slide them across the floor surface. Use suitable floor protectors, such as Glide ‘n’ Guard under appliances, and felt pads under furniture. Sweep or vacuum regularly to remove grit and dirt. Wash with a floor cleaner recommended for vinyl floors.
WARRANTY20 Year Limited Residential Wear Warranty
10 Year Limited Heavy Commercial Warranty
Installations requirements are supplied in the carton.
Please refer to www.stixoriginal.com/warranty/for the most current Warranty information.
Please refer to www.stixoriginal.com/maintenance/for the most current General Care & Maintenance instructions.